Friday 13 March 2015

Flat Pack Furniture and Flat Mates

Last weekend I moved once again.  In my 27, nearly 28, years of life, I have lived in 11 different houses, with 30 different people (not all at the same time).  I have lived with family members, strangers and friends and I can tell you this – you don’t really know someone until you live with them.

Student Village
My mum tells me when she dropped me off at university at the tender age of 18, she cried because she was scared I wouldn’t make any friends.  Hopefully, this isn’t because she thinks I am a social pariah but more because I didn’t know anyone.  I must admit, when I waved her goodbye I sat on my bed and wondered if I had made the right decision.  Then there was a flurry of knocks on my door and a second year student came bursting in. Her name was Katie and she soon became a close friend - which is fortunate, because we shared a bathroom. 

I loved living in student accommodation when I did my first degree.  I had an immediate group of friends, all doing different courses to me and whom I went on to live with out of halls.  So it felt only natural to do the same when I started at the University of Bedfordshire.  I wasn’t familiar with Luton so living in student accommodation right in the centre of town was extremely convenient whilst I was finding my feet.  I also didn’t drive at the time so was relived to discover the university, bus routes and shopping were all in easy walking distance.

One of my favourite passive aggressive notes
 There is a knack to sharing a house or halls of residence with other people as other people’s habits will drive you up the wall if you let them.  Door slamming, milk stealing, hair in plug holes, late night music blaring – I have lived with them all.  You have to remember, it is only temporary.  There are also massive positives; another person’s DVD collection to raid, someone to make you a cup of tea when you are hung-over, someone to help you put together your flat pack furniture as you try to make a room, a home.  As long as the benefits outweigh the negatives, stick with it.  If not, move on.

Flat mates are a staple of university life.  Hopefully you will be as lucky as me and make some life long friends.  See you next week.
Housemates for three years, friends forever

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog! I certainly adore how it is straightforward on my eye balls as well as the particulars are properly written. I bookmarked your site! miami office cubicles

    ReplyDelete