Friday 3 April 2015

Happy Easter

Could this be any cuter?
I love this time of year. Not only is it my birthday next week (8th April in case you were wondering) but also because spring has finally sprung.  Or so I thought; judging by the wind and rain we have had over the last couple of days you would think it was still winter.  But no, the evenings are getting lighter, the daffodils and tulips are bringing some much needed colour to our gardens and there is blossom on the trees.  Despite crème eggs being available on Boxing Day, it has finally become acceptable to start devouring them.  And as they are eggs, it is only natural that you do this a dozen at a time!

I'll take my Diet Coke with a side of hunk!
Did you give anything up for lent?  I abstained from Diet Coke, so I already have a can chilling in the fridge to drink at 8 am on Sunday.  I’m not very good resisting temptation but I haven’t touched a drop of the carbonated nectar for a whole 40 days!  I am so proud of myself.

I’ve said it a thousand times this week, but I can’t believe it is April already!  Where is this year going?  There are only 159 days left of my course, and more worryingly, only 56 until the dreaded ‘D’ day.  Last week at university we had an interview preparation day…I was so nervous, it was almost like I was interviewing for a job there and then. 

As a midwife, interviews for jobs involve a range of activities.  Of course there are the usual “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   What would you say are your biggest strengths and weaknesses are?” type questions.  There is also a maths test and an interpretation of fetal heart monitoring (a CTG), as well as neonatal resuscitation and an emergency scenario.  Everything that we have been learning over the past three years has been preparing us for these interviews, but looking around my classmates, I know there were thinking the same as me – “I’m not ready for this.  I don’t remember anything!”

Oh Michael Scott!
But of course we were ready.  As soon as we started running through the emergency situations or looked at the CTG we knew the answers.  Neonatal resuscitation felt like a muscle memory; like a dance learnt long ago.  What seems more daunting now is the question, “So, why should we choose you?”  Apparently my suggestion of “I can bake really nice cakes” won’t cut it.

So now all I have to do is get my CV and personal statement ready so I can upload them when the adverts are posted.  I have my NHSjobs email alerts all set up and have been filling my online baskets with an array of interview outfits.  Plenty of things to keep me from writing my dissertation; lovely!  See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the right principles which must needs to be followed down in all respects and those will also allows you to write a good personal statement. personal statement for midwifery jobs

    ReplyDelete