Saturday 30 November 2013

It's good to read

Hello again!

I didn't think I would manage it, but I am back on my laptop finally getting around to writing another blog. I have been completing an audit on the ward for my degree project which has required me to be in early-which included at 5am today on my day off. Good fun!

For those just heading into their nursing training or currently applying, you may or may not have read about the press around nursing in the recent years (depending how much you watch the news and read newspapers). It is key to be aware of the on-going changes going on within the profession, as this should help towards your learning, placements and career. A lot of attention at the moment is around the Francis Report, and you can either Google this or click here for a bit more information. The Keogh Mortality Review may be worth a look as well.

Previous to starting my nurse training, I kept an eye on the papers but in truth I didn't read around until I felt I was required to, and do regret that. I had attended the open day at Aylesbury campus and my main focus after this was applying and getting in. Once I had the offer of a place, my focus was on work at the time until university began. I threw myself into every opportunity; every meeting, rep opportunity and training. After my first year I did absolutely nothing in preparation for my second year, and really wish I had read about a bit! It is so easy to put things off that do not fall into the 'fun' category. I did everything to avoid getting on with things-organising, cleaning, rearranging folders, anything but pick up a book.

For those of you just applying or about to start, I would definitely recommend looking at the RCN (Royal College of Nursing) website which has a student area, along with the NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) website, especially The Code which you will hear a lot about over the next three years at uni, whether child, mental health, adult nursing or midwifery.

I can assure you that you will have some tough times ahead, but I think particularly with this profession you will need that to understand how nursing really is. I started university at the age of 26, and felt that I had nothing to learn about my character. I had to learn in the first year that I did not know everything and did need to listen, observe and absorb the information, which was difficult as I had been so used to working. I had to learn to take feedback and understand that everybody you work with works in a slightly different way with their own routines. Also as nursing can be very stressful, sometimes you just need to nod, smile and get on with things rather than to take things personally (but if you ever feel you're learning is being affected and you need extra support-the university and hospital have various people who are there to help and guide).

Now I am in the third year I am trying to follow my own advice. There will be things that cause you to have a bad day or just generally feel that a long shift will never end, but then there are the patients. If you are heading into nursing as you feel you are a caring person (a necessity!) then to know you have made a difference to a patient and/or their family to bring some comfort or make things better for them will  make your day. You may even like me meet patients who remind you fondly of your own relatives with their sayings or appearance, which reminds you just why you are there. My day yesterday was non-stop and very busy on the ward, then I had some positive feedback from the doctor which made me think 'I'm getting there'. It may feel at times like you have years to go and that is never ending, but believe me; soon enough you will be saying about how quick the last year went.

 

1 comment:

  1. Nursing Club help students by offering them custom Nursing Dissertations .We have professional and specialized writers to complete your university and college nursing papers.

    ReplyDelete