Friday 22 November 2013

Juggling student

Hello again!

I've titled this post 'juggling student' as you will find over time during your study that for any course which requires part work experience you will be required to multitask.

I have always been very much a give one thing 100% at any one time, but I have found (especially during year three) that you are expected to work on a number of things at once. As previously mentioned I am currently on my first placement of my final year, and am working three 12.5hr shifts each week-including night shifts. I previously worked full time prior to this course and shift work was not a new thing to me, but back then I had the luxury of being able to fill my days off with social life, duvet days and other activities; none of which included study.

This week for example, I got back on Monday from a long weekend away catching up with my partner and to watch a gig. On the Tuesday I had planned to sleep all day in preparation for a night shift...this did not happen (wide awake by 11am). Following my night shift I got home yesterday morning, had some food then attended a two hour lecture at uni before getting home and collapsing into bed after 27hrs conscious. I am on two long shifts over the weekend and am catching up on a bit of study today. Naturally I am drawn to sleeping through the whole of today, but as I have a degree project to work on and an essay due in January, I must convince myself to use any days off wisely, despite my body's attempts of rebelling.


Admittedly I only need to attend three short lectures throughout this 10week placement, and this taking place following a night shift is a rarity for me. Part of me has been tempted to write off a few days off to do absolutely nothing and catch up over Christmas leave, but then throughout January-March I will be having an exam, an OSCE and giving a presentation, so I will need to start prep for that also!

My motivation to keep going is that this time next year I will be graduating. In around six months time I will be applying for jobs ready for a September start. Everyone has their own motivations. But you also need to find your own ways of coping and own rewards. For some it is a holiday to Ibiza. Others a concert. For some students they are also mums and dads, and I cannot begin to understand how hard working they are...although from observation I feel they have adapted and are more able to multitask, but they deserve so much credit in my opinion. I have bite size rewards in place. I am not seeing my partner for another month, but instead he is my reward at the end of placement when Christmas begins. No matter how manic things get, remember to take time out and switch off! It will help keep you going!

Thanks for reading, will say hello next week for a catch up and hopefully post a video in the next few weeks if I can figure out how to use my webcam!

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment