Wednesday 15 January 2014

Group work

Hi Everyone :)

I wasn't quite sure what to write about today until I attended a meeting at university representing the students in my class. Back in Year one I put myself forward to be a class representative and have stuck with it since. I attend the meetings when I can and these usually fall once every three months, with student reps, lecturers, representatives from the hospitals etc. present at both Butterfield and Aylesbury via a camera link.

During this meeting, student reps are asked whether there are any issues they wish to raise from their class. A student from Buckinghamshire raised the issue about group work. He felt that it was unfair to work in groups and rely on those people to gain a team grade as if one member did not pull their weight then this could potentially cause a lower grade.

Another student who is just about to qualify responded saying that she felt exactly the same early on, but the process of teamwork was an important factor in terms of being a student nurse. He didn't seem convinced.

Back in Year one, I probably had the same opinion as him. I didn't mind the concept of group work, but did not like the idea of receiving a lower grade due to another person not contributing. I did not want to be the person to tell others to make sure they attended or pulled their weight, as that may have meant I gained a reputation of being overly pushy or serious.

But after working on the wards, I realised group work is an essential element of the university experience for any student nurse. Once released into the world of nursing, you will come into contact with people who may be stuck in their ways or not contribute enough which could increase your workload. How you talk to people and resolve conflict is a necessity. Rather than look at it as the group could affect your grade, think of it as how much the task will contribute to your development as a nurse.

Looking back, I can really see how much I have developed in my communication skills. I had assumed that after 8years of full time customer service work I would have nothing more to learn about communicating with others, but now I feel I have grown due to the opportunities in both practice and university. Before, I was nervous as to not upset anyone by asking them to help out more or do their share, whatever it meant for my grade. Now I feel I have adapted to address issues before they develop and discussing at the start of any task what our expectations of each other are, with deadlines put in place to ensure no individual is over compensating for others.

The main thing is....not everything will make sense to begin with. I couldn't stand group work. I found it pointless. Two years on-I get the lecturers point of view. In Year one I viewed it as lecturers were not supporting and overseeing the groups enough, now I see it as encouragement of independent learning, being responsible for our own opportunities.

What I mean is-be open to all learning opportunities. Everyone will prefer a different method of study, but you never know until you try.
 
Good luck all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment