Sunday 23 February 2014

Another week closer to 'farewell university'

Evening All!

First of all, I just want to explain that just because I seem to be forever working towards a countdown (for example; my title to this post) I can assure you that this isn't a reflection on the university! This last week has been an 'almost' goodbye to attending university, as apart from one lecture in mid/late March and going in for exams and assessments throughout March, I will no longer be spending any time with my cohort (class). 

After our Spring leave I will be going straight into my 13week management placement followed by Summer leave, a bit of paperwork then out to the world of work! Looking back I found the first year quite slow to get in to as I had not been in a place of education since I was 18 (I started the course 8yrs after this!), so the idea of sitting in lectures and learning to observe and learn was a gradual process for me! In the second year I started to get my head around university and the idea of being a nurse and then wham! Year three sneaks in and you start to realise that in no time at all you will be a registered nurse looking after your own set of patients and you will be the example students look to to learn the profession.

The past week at university has actually felt a bit different to me personally. The cohort were in as usual but the impending job hunting/exams/no more uni/final placement seem to have put people in a reflective mood. On Monday we found out where our final placements would be (very happy as I got my requested gynaecology!), and yesterday found out our grade for the essay submitted in January (happy again-A-). Tomorrow I will be hopping on a train (4 to be precise) to travel to my partner's house in Somerset in preparation for my open day also in that county. I have given my CV a good polish (on the most expensive paper I could find just on the off chance they would like to have a copy!) and have jotted down some potential interview questions as you never know what could happen! I know it is only an open day but my friend attended one in another Trust the other day and was offered an interview on the same day, so it may be worth turning up with my portfolio up to date and dressed appropriately! As one of my lectures explained to us, 'Fail to prepare means you prepare to fail'.

Once I get back from Somerset I will be giving you a quick update and then back to exam preparation, with the first being my practical OSCE a week on Tuesday based on a deteriorating patient. Wish me luck!

Well that is all from me I'm afraid, but hope everything is good in the world of applications, open days and interviews? Not forgetting the wait to find out of course! I noticed more interviews going on last Thursday, amazing how quiet the learning resource area can be during this time!

Will catch up soon! :)

Em x

P.s. on a last final random note, I mentioned the other day I was going for a photo shoot. I decided after years of my mother telling me to stop hiding from the camera and get at least one proper photo taken of myself while I am in my 20's, so I bit the bullet and I went on a 50's makeover fashion shoot. I'm still awaiting the official pics but here is a taster :) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment