Saturday 26 April 2014

What a long week!

Hi All :)

Finally have a chance to get onto the laptop to say hello. Have just finished three early shifts on the ward and a long day yesterday (was there for 14.5 hours). I now have four days off in a row but have decided to have the ultimate lazy day today followed by three days committed to university work before another week on placement.

Wear good footwear for the standing

My second week on the ward has gone smoothly. I was previously on a care of the elderly ward which is very fast-paced and hard work, and am now on a ward where I find the pace and patient group completely different. Now I am looking after patients who usually go home within a few days of admittance, so there is a lot of focus on organised discharges. There is also a lot of pre-operative and post-operative care, which wasn't present on the last medical ward. I had the opportunity yesterday of following one of the patients from ward to theatre to recovery, which I found interesting. Some people aren't keen on watching procedures, but I find anatomy far easier to learn and understand when it is visually in front of me, so to speak!

Or weekends...

I know a lot of the 'normal' university students have probably just returned to study this week or maybe next...who knows, as unlike a typical university theory based course we do not get the same time off. So I'm afraid no months and months off sorry, just seven official leave weeks scheduled.

Hope the prep for university is coming along well for you all :)

Chat to you next week!
Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment