Sunday 18 May 2014

Happy Sunny Sunday!

Hi All!

Well as you can see outside it is gloriously sunny! (apologies for those who are not experiencing the sunshine). I am fortunate to have a long weekend off which I feel is being a rather productive one.
I submitted my degree project on Friday and am a bit dubious about how I have done but hey, you can only try your best. I went into town to get my work printed and bound and am rather glad to have saved the document as both a Word and PDF document as the Word version at the printers was different to mine so the layout was completely wrong. Thank you PDF!
I had told myself that yesterday I would be getting on with my next uni work but the sunshine got the better of me (and the BBQ). So this morning I was at the computer at 8.30am to type up my plan and get it emailed over to my lecturer to review before I continue writing the essay. It is due in mid-June but luckily the University has organised for us to be on 30hr working weeks on placement until it is due, so bit of a relief!

The last week at placement has flown by, especially as I was only in for two long days. Five weeks down with eight left to go...quite scary! I have had the privilage of being closely involved in one patients' care for the past few weeks who has really touched me. Throughout your training and career you will meet people who somehow really move you and cause you to go home with them in mind. Don't get me wrong, I care for all of the people I came into contact with, but sometimes just a random thing can touch you such as the way they talk reminds you of your own loved one, or even their family unit can remind you of your own. Sometimes someone affects you so much but you just don't know why. This patient in particular hit a nerve I think as sometimes things happen and it appears completely unfair, and sometimes you feel for them as they just never seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But despite feeling how unfair it is on them, I also feel glad I could have been there for them also. Caring and compassion are essential qualities of anyone going into nursing, but sometimes because of these qualities you have you may find it difficult to not take certain emotions home. I can't say I appreciate my own life more due to others suffering, but I now see that every day is precious, and you have to make the most of it. I find in situations where you feel particularly moved or emotional it is good to talk to people such as your mentor as they can listen, understand and usually tell you an experience they had years ago of a patient who equally moved them and they have never forgotten. We are also encouraged to write reflections to learn from these expereriences, and I guess this post could be described as one of these.
So that is me for another week. Go outside and enjoy the warmth....they say the weather is the subject most discussed by the British so go on, go and relax :)

Talk to you next week
Em x



Stephen Sutton


On another note, I believe this young man deserved a mention as he has done such good in his life and moved so many. Rest In Peace Stephen



No comments:

Post a Comment