Friday 27 February 2015

Getting organised

This week I have been full of cold so have appreciated my bed when I can finally crawl into it.  It is usually when I settle down to sleep however, that I suddenly remember everything that the day’s events have put to the back of my mind, which is why I sleep with a notebook and pen close to hand.

I’ve always considered myself to be an organised person, but even with my colour coded diary, there always seems to be something that prevents me from sleeping until I have scribbled it down in the semi darkness. 

When you start university, you will be reminded that you are an ‘adult learner’ on an almost weekly basis.  This means the investment you make in your education is much greater than it ever was at school or college.  Although the tutors want you to pass and are incredibly supportive, there is no spoon feeding of information.  They will provide you with the basics so you are safe in practice, but if you want to get a good grade, then you have to be self motivated and put in a lot of work yourself. 

When you are a health care student, not only do you have written assessments such as essays and exams, you also have the added pressure of clinical placement and your practical assessments.  This all means organisational skills are key.  Below are some of my top tips;

Get a diary
I would be lost without my diary, which is covered in post-it notes and coloured tabs.  Along with black pens, a diary with plenty of room to write for each day is an essential purchase for any health care student. 

Early to bed, early to rise
Not only will you catch the early worm, but you will also be more productive and healthier!  Too many times I have tried to burn the candle at both ends, with a 05.30am alarm for an early shift and then staying up until the small hours.  The result was burn out.
 
Make lists
One of the simplest joys in life is to cross things off your to do list.  It is often a good idea to break things down to smaller tasks which are manageable rather than popping down ‘dissertation’ and then carrying it over from day to day.  

Plan your day, week and month
During busy periods I have been known to plan my day hour by hour, but that is just me!  It is important you have an overview of what your month looks like so you can book in time for my last point…

Remember to rest
There is such as thing as working too hard!  It is important you take time to slow down and enjoy a day off.  Go for coffee with a friend, watch a film, stay in bed until 1pm, take the dog for a walk, however you relax, but make sure it has nothing to do with your course.  Otherwise, it is very easy to get lost down the rabbit hole.

Hope that has been helpful. See you next week. 

On a final note, if you get a chance to watch Childbirth: All or Nothing on BBC iplayer, I recommend you do.  It makes very interesting viewing and has sparked debate within our cohort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment