Friday 6 February 2015

Well, hello to you!

Who wouldn't want to study here?
Welcome to my first blog.  I couldn't really think of an exciting way to introduce myself, so I thought I would do a short interview.

Name: Cat Cracknell

Age: 27

What are you studying at the University of Bedfordshire?
BSc Midwifery (Pre-Registration)

Why did you choose the University of Bedfordshire?
When I was applying via UCAS, I decided if I was applying to one university, I may as well apply to as many as I could.  My sister was studying at the University of Bedfordshire, so I thought I would apply here as well as she had had a good experience and liked the area.  The course structure and facilities available at UoB are also excellent and really made my decision very easy!

What did you do before your current course?
I have a degree in Drama from Loughborough University.  After I graduated, I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do so I worked as a teaching assistant for a while before moving to London and working for the National Youth Theatre for two years.

We are all a little bit crazy!
Why midwifery?
Many of my family and friends work in the NHS in various roles.  I wanted a career where I could care for people but didn’t feel nursing was right for me.  I felt drawn to supporting women during their journey to motherhood.  I also thought I had the right personality and character strengths to be a good midwife.

What is your favourite aspect of your course?
I have the most fantastic job in the world! I have also made an amazing group of friends who share my sense of humour and support me through the ups and downs of being a student midwife.

What is the hardest part of your course?
It’s never nice when a tragedy occurs, but the support you receive as a student is second to none.  You also have the usual stresses of being a student, such as having no money, assignment deadlines, balancing work and having a life!  It is absolutely worth it though.

What is coming up in the next few weeks?
RCM
The dreaded dissertation writing! Our unit is also being visited by Cathy Warwick, Chief Executive of the RCM which is exciting.  Lots of new experiences for me to blog about…

So that’s me.  I am looking forward to blogging about the last few months of my course and hopefully give you an insight into life as a student midwife at UoB.  See you next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment