Friday 1 May 2015

Take 2

My new theatre
I am often met by surprise when I explain what my career was before starting my training.  It does seem quite a jump to go from theatre to midwifery, but with half of my family working within the NHS, the change has always seemed more natural to me.

I had a few fears about returning to university for a second time.
Initially, I was reluctant to admit that I hadn’t made the right decision the first time.  I have always been the sort of person to agonise over the decisions I make.  I cried when I had to choose my GCSEs, scared that my teachers would no longer like me if I didn’t choose their subject.  In retrospect this is completely ridiculous, but for a 14 year old the overwhelming fear that the choices I made in that moment would dictate my future was a very real one. 

So when I realised the theatre wasn’t the right world for me, it took me a while to adapt to this. I knew I wanted a career, not just a job, so I was never looking for a quick fix.  It was however quite a
Its not easy to get on to a course!
commitment to agree to complete another three year degree.  Being a student again also wasn’t massively appealing; I had a nice life in London, earning a good salary and going to the theatre whenever I wanted so the prospect of limited funds, deadlines and assignments wasn’t something I was looking forward to.  It wasn’t long however, until I remembered all the brilliant parts about being a student.

I love learning, and from speaking to my friend who was half way through her training, I was absolutely fascinated about the process of pregnancy and birth.  There was also the opportunity to make a new group of friends, something which I am always open to.  Making friends at university is completely different from making friends at school – at school, you are friends because you are in the same form class, or you sit next to each other in Biology, but in higher education, you are brought together by a shared passion and interest.  In my experience, it leads to closer and longer lasting friendships.  It did cross my mind that I would be the eldest in the group, but I soon realised that midwifery attracts people of all ages and backgrounds.

The joys of being a mature student
I also had to consider that midwifery was a completely new subject for me.  I had not studied any science since my GCSEs, some seven years previous!  I also hadn’t always wanted to be a midwife in the same way I had always longed to be on the stage.  My move to midwifery was a considered decision, looking at my interests and personality strengths.  Although I had the bizarre experience of applying through UCAS at the same time as the students I was teaching, returning to study was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  I have never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment