Friday 15 May 2015

Two weeks to go!

My face when I realised the time!
Today’s blog is very late, I apologise.  I have succumbed to the dissertation and was completely distracted.  As time tends to do when you need more of it, this week has slipped through my fingers.

As the title suggests, there is only a fortnight before the big ‘D’ day deadline. But of course, there are a number of other things to juggle alongside the small matter of 10,000 words.  Many of the third years, myself included, have been placed back on delivery suite in order to ‘catch’ our remaining babies.  Out of the 40 personal deliveries we need to qualify, I am currently on 30.  We all gather in the office at handover, working out who has priority, batting back the keen first and second years.  Every day, we look just a little more desperate!

International Nurses Day was also this week.  We celebrated at our hospital by having a nursing and midwifery conference and awards ceremony.  I was shortlisted for Student Midwife of the Year and
Because loser doesn't look as good
received runner up to my very deserving friend…and housemate (that wasn’t awkward over the breakfast table)!

One of the speakers at the conference discussed end of life care, which I listened to keenly as it is a subject similar to that of my dissertation.  He told us ‘The Starfish Story’ adapted from a story by Loren Eiseley.  For me, the story completely described my philosophy of care. Sometimes, the enormity of the role I am about to undertake is too much – there is too much responsibility, too much paperwork, too much pain.  How can I make a difference, have any influence?  But as the story below beautifully expresses, even the smallest act, for just one person can make an immense difference.

My new favourite story


We are going to be looking at our philosophy of care a lot more over the coming weeks at university.  It is important to remember why we want to be in this challenging and demanding role, as well who we are doing it for.  Although I originally applied for this course because I thought I had the right personal qualities to be a midwife and I was interested in the subject, I have come to respect what an honour it is and strive to do my best for the women who have given me the privilege to support and travel with them though their pregnancy and journey into motherhood.

Just a short one this week because, unfortunately – my dissertation hasn’t yet learnt how to write itself. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment