Friday 29 May 2015

Almost there!

Where is this man's oscar?!
Well the ‘D-day’ has finally arrived. Would you believe it, I was actually ready, despite pouring a fresh cup of tea over my laptop three days before the deadline!  Final word count; 10 997 words (30, 744 if you include all the appendices).  Now all I can do is wait for the results…something no student enjoys. 

Now my dissertation is out of the way, I can concentrate on filling in the gaps of my clinical skills.   I have eight babies to catch (but having two on one shift was a bonus), about 50 learning points, 7 clinical assessments, a presentation. Writing it like that makes it seem like a lot, but is hard to see anything as a challenge on the same day as you submit your dissertation.  I could probably climb Mount Everest today.  Probably. Maybe not.  I do feel like Jack from Titanic though….the “I’m the king of the world!” moment, not the freezing to death that is. 

Probably not the train she was thinking of
 One of our lecturers described our training as a train journey; in the first year you are leaving the station, excited about the trip, wanting it to gather speed so you can reach your destination.  Second year you go into a tunnel called ‘general placements’.  It goes dark and you feel like it will never end.  You start to wonder why you even started the journey in the first place. And then finally, third year; you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  But then it seems to be hurling towards you and you start to question whether you want to leave the comfort of your carriage.

Then there is small matter of getting a job.  My stomach lurches every time I get an alert from NHS jobs.  It makes the last three years of training very real and although sometimes I can’t wait to write RM after my name, at other times I think I would like to stay in my white student uniform for ever.
Interview tips; I must remember to shave

I have my first interview in mid June, so have been brushing up on obstetric emergencies and neonatal resuscitation. I have found running through these with a group of my friends on the course has been the most successful way of doing this.  Interviews for midwifery jobs also include a maths test so I have been practising my mental arithmetic.  I also have to choose an interview outfit.  A very important decision there!

I will let you know how I get on in my interview and my dissertation.  I’m now off to my cousin’s wedding, what a lovely end to a successful week!  See you next week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment