Friday 5 June 2015

Where to go

Choosing the right university is a massive decision, one that needs careful consideration.  Although the decision was slightly taken out of my hands as the University of Bedfordshire was the only
Decisions, decisions
institution which offered me a place, I remember the heartache and indecision which surrounded my choice to study at Loughborough University.  There are a number of factors to consider; here are just a few tips which may be helpful to you when you are making the decision…

Read the course syllabus and structure
Every university will structure their course and organise their assessments in slightly different ways. With midwifery many aspects are stipulated by the NMC so there is some standardisation, but each course will have its individual nuances which you need to bear in mind.  UoB, for example, have continuous placement throughout the three years of midwifery training rather than block placements.  Look through university prospectuses and look on the university’s website for details.  One of the things which attracted me to Loughborough was the fact that the dissertation was an optional unit!  Needless to say, I did not choose that option.

Attend an open day
The best way to get a feel for a university is to attend an open day.  Usually this will include a tour of the campus and accommodation, which is important because not only will the university you choose become the place you study, it will also become your home for the next three years.  There may also be the opportunity to talk to current students which means you will be able to ask them all the
An easy way to get a taste of student life
important questions you will have.  You will be able to gauge if you can ‘see’ yourself at that university, if there are societies you are interested in, where you will take your grandparents when they come to visit!  I instantly felt at home when I attended open days at Loughborough and Bedfordshire, something I didn’t experience at some of the other universities I looked around.

Think about location and transport links
This is a very practical consideration but one which will serve you well.  I always wanted to study somewhere which was far enough away from home so I wouldn’t go home every weekend, but was close enough to get back if I needed to.  I often fight the temptation to just pop home to enjoy my mum’s cooking and familiar surroundings when the homesickness sets in, but I have learnt that it is important to stick these times out and put some foundations down. Also, a two hour journey is just long enough to put me off if I have had a busy week, but not too long to get back for special events (or a mummy hug!).  You also want to think about whether you like to be in the city or prefer a small town; one of the things which put me off studying in London was the thought of working in a big city hospital.  Also think about what the transport links are like.  Being based in Luton was fantastic for me in my first year as I didn’t drive and the bus service is excellent. 

Talk to family and friends
Ultimately the decision is yours, but it is also useful to get the opinion of friends and family if you are really struggling to settle on a university.  It would be more beneficial if they have accompanied you to an open day, but even if they haven’t they may think of something you haven’t.   My mum, for example, googled the train journey home from Luton and fretted that I would have to cross London.  I think she had forgotten I had lived and worked in London for nearly two years!

Graduation - the ultimate goal
My final piece of advice is to look at student experience league tables as these offer an invaluable insight into what it is like to be a student at the universities you are considering.  There is no flashy marketing involved, just honest opinion from the people who are where you will soon be.  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment