Friday 26 June 2015

A taste of university life

Details can be found on the university's website
I would always advocate attending an open day at any university that you are thinking of applying to.  These give you an opportunity to visit the campus and accommodation, learn more about the structure of the course and get a feel for the atmosphere – after all, it will become your home for the next three years.  I knew as soon as I came to the University of Bedfordshire that I felt comfortable and liked the staff.  It is also helpful to attend an open day so you can understand and articulate why you want to attend that specific university – a common question in interviews.

I asked my friends why they attended university open days to see if they had any further insight.  These are their words of wisdom;

“I have always believed if you like a place on a rainy day you will be happy there.” Emily

“The open day gave me an insight into how the university worked before I applied.” Anne

Meet current students
“I appreciated being able to talk to the students and get an insight into their experience – lecturers and staff will always be positive; I wanted to know what it was really like.” Alex

“I found it helpful to learn the course structure and the type of assessments which are used so I could see if it suited me.” Daisy

“I was able to meet other applicants who I then contacted on Facebook so I already had friends when I started!” Joely

“I liked looking round the simulation lab – that made me really excited about starting the course.” Mary-Anne

“I went to one open day for a university which I had set my heart on going to, but once I got there it just didn’t feel right.  I am glad I realised that before I had gone through the application and interview process.” Jenny

See the facilities
I have previously written a post with lots of tips about choosing the right university (Where to go?).  I also spoke to my friends about what made them choose the University of Bedfordshire and how they made their decision. 

Many people only applied to institutions which were within a commutable distance from home, whereas others were drawn to the structure of the course.  They looked at league tables (such as The Guardian’s University Guide, The Complete University Guide, What Uni?), prospectuses, student forums, and asked college tutors and family members.  There doesn’t seem to be a magic formula for choosing the right university.  I think it is important to do some research and attend an open day to see if it feels right.  Trust your instincts.  See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment