Friday 19 June 2015

How does it run?

I have just 12 weeks left.  This is an incredible thought.  I have just found out I have a job and next week we should be getting our results of our dissertation.  Eeek, reality is setting in.

Many university courses have already finished for the summer, final exams are being sat and third year students are packing up their things and going home for the last time.  The midwifery course is slightly different however.
but not for the midwifery students!
It was quite a shock to discover that I wouldn’t be getting the three month break that most students enjoy.  It does make sense though – we are training for a profession which has to be available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Typically, my week is split 50% practice, 50% university study.  Instead of having blocks of 6 weeks spent in university, followed by 10 weeks in practice like some universities do, we have always had three shifts of work a week and one day in university.  I have personally found this very helpful as it means I can immediately put theory into practice.  I just know I would forget what a pregnant woman looks like if I hadn’t been at work for 6 weeks – it's bad enough coming back after two weeks of annual leave at Christmas!

Our theoretical teaching takes many forms.  We have the traditional lectures, which are like classes at school or college, but we also have seminars which are smaller group discussions about a particular topic.  As so much of what we need to learn is practical, we often have sessions in the simulation labs in which we can practice our clinical skills in a safe environment.  They are fantastically well equipped; we even have mannequins which breathe and blink! 
Fantastic facilities
There are also self-directed study days, and practice based study days run by our practice educators.

There are also many different types of assessments both in theory and practice.  We have essays, written exams, VIVAs (a spoken exam), OSCEs (a practical exam), presentations, case studies and practice assessments.  We also have a checklist of clinical skills which we need to be ‘signed off’ as competent at. 

There is a lot to think about and keep on top off throughout the training, but this is reflective of the responsibility that is involved with the role.  We are encouraged to attend clinical governance meetings and participate in audits, which are all part of the midwife’s role and something which we will need to do when we are qualified.

Another fantastic opportunity we have is the University's annual midwifery conference.  In previous years this has focused on topics such as cultural diversity and sensitivity in midwifery and communication.  I have also attended conferences run by the Royal College of Midwives which has increased my knowledge base and introduced me to a wide range of midwifery specialities.

I have found the teaching to be excellent throughout my course – the lecturers are supportive, passionate and knowledgeable and I feel fantastically prepared to enter the working world of midwifery.  See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment